Learning is a life-changing, character-changing process if we allow it to be. Through teaching, we can build up aspects of a student’s work ethic and character. Below we’ve jotted down Seligman’s “Character Strengths and Virtues” along with how Acakid tutors incorporate them into lessons.
- Creativity – We create projects and problems that allow students to use their imagination.
- Curiosity – We encourage students to ask questions about anything and everything. There are no dumb questions.
- Open-Mindedness – We lead by example by listening to our students’ ideas, feelings, and needs, by being flexible and taking risks.
- Love of Learning – We show enthusiasm when teaching, reminding students how great it feels to know.
- Innovation – We encourage them to keep generating ideas and to not be satisfied with taking the easy way out!
- Bravery – We promote the mindset that it is better to try and fail than to not try at all!
- Persistence – We encourage our students to never give up, to be patient, and to reflect on and learn from mistakes.
- Integrity – We believe that honesty is vital. Nobody is perfect!
- Forgiveness – A bad grade should be seen as an opportunity for improvement rather than a failure.
- Hope – We always encourage our students and let them know we believe in them!
Tutoring is about more than getting good grades. Through teaching, we shape who students become!